The Coast of Maine Difference
Here at Coast of Maine we are proud of the quality and consistency of our compost-based soils. Compost (naturally decomposed organic matter), we believe, is the key ingredient. Ours are made using carefully designed and tested recipes which include the very best ingredients (sustainably sourced from pristine ocean waters and local farms) combined with rigorous
quality controls. We never use biosolids, municipal or household waste. Close attention to detail with frequent turning, sampling and testing plus a lengthy aging and curing process produces dark, rich compost that builds soil and enhances plant growth.
We use all natural ingredients
We believe Bar Harbor Blend™ Organic & Natural Potting Soil is the ideal soil for potting houseplants, hanging baskets, window boxes and outdoor containers. It is carefully formulated to provide balance between structure, water retention, drainage and aeration for growing strong, vigorous vegetables, herbs and flowers in pots, raised beds, planter boxes or other container gardens. It provides your garden the rich and diverse soil it needs.
Ingredients: 70 – 80% sphagnum peat moss, composted manure, perlite, aged bark and fertilizer (see below).
Information regarding contents and levels of metals in this product is available at: http://www.aapfco.org/metals.html
Florida Dept. of Ag & Consumer Services fertilizer license F2755
Follow these few simple steps
How much Bar Harbor Blend Potting Soil will you need? Use the calculator in the right-hand sidebar to select the container you are using, how many and what product size you have.
Make sure your selected pot(s) have drainage holes.
• For a hanging basket up to 16”, use 1/3 bag.
• The soil calculations are approximations, as the actual amount of potting soil needed will depend on the size of
your plant’s rootball.
• Make sure your selected pot(s) have drainage holes.
• If you’re combining different plants, make sure they are good companions (i.e., they like similar amounts of sun or shade and moisture conditions).
- Fill your container with potting soil and tamp down lightly to reduce total volume.• Scoop out a hole in the soil for each plant deep enough so the top of the rootball will end up about 1” below the edge of the container.• Remove the plants from their nursery pots and place in the holes.• Add more potting soil to within 1/2” below the top of the container, making sure it is level all around the plant.• Tamp everything down again gently with the flat of your palms.• Water carefully to avoid disturbing the top layer of soil.• Repeat watering several times until water drains from the bottom of the container into a saucer or drip pan but not overflowing.
Container plants need to be regularly watered and occasionally fed. For best results, water only when the soil is slightly dry to the touch. Because Bar Harbor Blend™ is naturally dark in color, it may be hard to tell just by sight. Feed as needed with an organic plant food.